This 144-Year-Old Wisteria In Japan Looks Like A Pink Sky
These stunning photographs, which look like a glorious late evening sky with dashes of pink and purple, are actually pictures of Japan’s largest wisteria (or wistaria, depending on whom you ask) plant.
This plant, located in Ashikaga Flower Park in Japan, is certainly not the largest in the world, but it still comes in at an impressive 1,990 square meters (or half an acre) and dates back to around 1870 (the largest, at about 4,000 square meters, is the wisteria vine in Sierra Madre, California). Although wisterias can look like trees, they’re actually vines. Because its vines have the potential to get very heavy, this plant’s entire structure is held up on steel supports, allowing visitors to walk below its canopy and bask in the pink and purple light cast by its beautiful hanging blossoms.
Image credits: Takao Tsushima
You just want to lay out a blanket and lie under there!
"Phoenix Rie", "Phenix Rie"
Sega (joined 1984)
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Character Designer)
- Phantasy Star (Creator/Writer, Executive Designer)
- Altered Beast (Designer)
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Assistant Director, Animator)
- Mystic Defender (Enemy Designer, Character designer)
- Phantasy Star II (Executive Designer)
- Sorcerian (Graphic Designer)
- Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Graphic Design)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Design)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Zone Artist)
- Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Director, Environment Designer, Object Designer, Event Designer)
- Magic Knight Rayearth (Director)
- Deep Fear (Producer)
- Skies of Arcadia (Producer)
- 7th Dragon (Producer)